Chad Smith: John Frusciante best musician I’ve known and played with

In a fresh new interview with Drum Magazine, Red Hot Chili Peppers' Chad Smith has only words of praise for John. This interview is far better in terms of how it was edited, so everything's pretty clear. Looks like Drum Magazine does it a bit better than some others.

Burned out by two decades of an unforgiving album-tour- album cycle, the Red Hot Chili Peppers agreed to cool it for at least a year in 2008. They walked away from the stage, the studio, and each other. Then, in the middle of the break, guitarist John Frusciante left to pursue solo work full-time. Though the move extended the group’s absence from the public eye another year, his amicable exit allowed the Chili Peppers time to plant new seeds.

“I thought he might come around one day and go, ‘Yep! I’m ready!’ But he never did, and that’s fine,” Smith says. “He’s probably the best musician I’ve ever known and played with. He’s just fantastic and I love him. But we want to keep going.”

*Many thanks to Bernard for the heads-up.

You might also want to check out:
Read the entire Drum Magazine article on Chad Smith
Pre-order I'm With You, out on 30th August
See what Flea said on the same matter

14 Reactions to Chad Smith: John Frusciante best musician I’ve known and played with

1. Bernard says:

This article made me realise that journalists and fans are reading too hard between the lines. With John's departure, it is only natural to suspect some bad blood was the reason behind it, and people are looking closely at every single word uttered for clues pointing to what happened, myself included. Perhaps the easier answer is that we should take it at face value: that they left amicably and they still love and respect each other.

2. Funk you says:

Why don't you Share the news of Mr. frusciantes marriage on your weird Fanpage?!?!?!?!

It's his private life. I don't think it should be a news item on the website. I confirmed that the source was reliable on Twitter and Facebook and that's enough. I'll edit his biography. And next time someone posts an idiotic comment about his wife, they'll look like even bigger jerks.

Also, why weird? I think those that share private photos and information are weird.

I'm not sure if he would be OK with it, if his wife would be OK with it, if his mother would be OK with it...the list goes on. I just cannot do such an irresponsible thing without knowing if it's OK.

So, yeah, I never swear, but funk you too...funk you to Funk-you-shima.

• Shade says:

I think it would be quite weird if you posted six news items with marriage photos and such. That just reeks of obsession to me - maybe something a 'fanpage' would do, yes, but you've made a habit of focussing on what he says and does outside of his house. For me that's enough.

• brummieapril says:

You're right Iva about first checking that it's ok. In my eagerness to express my hapiness for him, I added my congrats in the forum thread (where you confirmed the news) and I hope this was ok to do? If not, I'll delete and wait for an official announcement.

And I agree it's proper to focus on the music, but it's also nice to express good wishes that he's finally found hapiness. Isn't it?

Yes, that was OK and this is OK, too. I would just feel too weird to make a news item about it, especially given that the whole thing is so private that the picture people found is of, well, guests, not the newlyweds. 🙂

I''m happy for him, too - if someone's not happy for him, they need therapy, a love of their own or both. 🙂
          My recent post Čega sam se bojala kao mala?

3. zakray says:

With respect, Iva, you can't really say that the editing of one article is better than another, since no one but the author knows what the original, unedited interview sounds like. For all we know, Chad could have praised Josh as well, and it was edited out.

Guilty as charged. I left it the way it was, so it would be obvious that people were

Also, you never had Slobodan Milošević's media machines while growing up...if you did, you'd see demagogy everywhere. I guess I overreact out of pure childhood/teen years habit. 🙂

4. Kelly Freeman says:

There's so much love going around.

5. LucyKitt says:

Isn't this a site dedicated to music and not a musician's personal life? I seem to recall it's clearly stated that this site is about John Frusciante's music not what he does outside of that music?

6. Patrick says:

I wrote the Drum Magazine cover story on Chad, and I appreciate everyone's feedback. I also interviewed Josh and Flea for the piece. This new album is going to knock you out. Thank you for reading! Chad is a gem.

7. brummieapril says:

And why was I totally incapable of spelling happiness earlier on?!!?!

8. bob says:

It is odd reading posts about creeps and freaks posting pictures or knowing where John lives. I mean Iva is as much obsessed with John as any of those creeps. She is just obsessed with keeping his private live away from this specific web page, it does not mean she is not interested in it. She chose not to post it here of some fear that people close to John or John himself could read and not like it. But guess what, John DOES read S-A(just the first name that came to my mind) and he keeps himself updated there, so I mean, it is irrelevant to him what you write about him. I don`t think you`re going to get kudos for being all about music or whatever.

I seriously am not interested in his private life, the same way he's not interested in mine or yours. Shame that you think everyone's sneaky and that people do things only to be praised by someone specific. And shame that you have no idea that a person you (might have) spoke to in 2004, 2006, 2007 has nothing to do with someone that's responding to you in 2011.

So, yes, I guess I'll have to update myself on John's toilet installation...if the water's flushing clockwise or anti-clockwise. And I guess I'll have to write another lamenting post about how much I adore California. Thanks for reminding me. 🙂
      My recent post Popularni hashtagovi na Twitteru – globalno i regionalno