Omar Rodriguez-Lopez on John’s different philosophy

The Mars Volta - Nocturniquet album cover

The Mars Volta - Nocturniquet album cover

Days before release of The Mars Volta's new studio album, Nocturniquet, Blare magazine had a chat with the band's mastermind, Omar Rodriguez Lopez.

Near the end of the interview, the subject of John popped up, as this is the first TMV full-lenght studio album that he's not present on. To remind you: he guested on a song on each of the first two albums, then played guitar on almost all the songs on the next albums.

Have you stayed in touch with other frequent collaborators, such as John Frusciante?
Yeah, of course. He’s one of my closest friends.

You’ve definitely recorded some great material together on each other’s albums and other projects; is there any chance that might happen again?
Maybe in the future, but John’s in a different place right now. He’s in a place where he couldn’t care less about putting things out or about something being a product. He’s living by different standards right now with a different philosophy, so he doesn’t want to be a part of anything that he knows is going to end up being a product. A Mars Volta record definitely ends up being a product.

Well, when you’re as prolific in such a short amount of time I think you earn that right.
Right (laughs).

You can read the entire interview here and, if you're interested, pre-order Nocturniquet.

*Many thanks to Phil Ramirez for the heads-up.

27 Reactions to Omar Rodriguez-Lopez on John’s different philosophy

1. orangevarld says:

It sounds like it doesn't match with what Share Watson said about his next album to come. An album is a product, isn't it?

• Simon says:

Maybe he will release his works into internet. In this way it won't be a product.

2. Modulus says:

I think this reffers to be less a album for resale in the first place, more a album just to bring joy to his fans

3. Arjan says:

To much heroin...

4. All john's friends say he's in a other place right now... sounds weird right?

5. I get that strange feeling that something isn't right. But maybe that's just me.

6. asdfg says:

It's easy to be against a 'product' when you have millions and millions of dollars.

• digeridoo145 says:

true dat. the concept of working and making money been there for centuries. some people exploit it, but it's not a shame to make enough to live from art.

7. schniefelus says:

"couldn't care less about putting out things" doesn't sound promising at all. I hope he refers to commercial output only :/

8. Kristjan says:

Yeah, you can imagine, John Frusciante is one of the really best music writers and guitar players of all time I guess. And when you are the best, what you can be next??
    I can understand John, being good is not very easy in this life.

9. Kristjan says:

I can understand John, being good is not very easy in this life.

10. Tom Stafford says:

On the plus side this could mean the start of some solo work live shows? That wouldn't be a product...

11. gtmusic says:

john needs to extinguish the rumors of a new album if its not true. in my opinion his stock is dropping in my book for the simple reason either he himself is or he's letting other people lead people on about his "new" music. that pure ego and quite simply being kind of a douche bag. im a huge fan but.......thats the truth. i could care less if he releases another album but at least take 30 secs. to either confirm or deny the rumors for those who do care.........he's not above that.

Please, do not use words such as "douche bag" when talking about another person, no matter who they are.

• Sam L. Jones says:

Although what he said is kind of dumb, don't tell him what to and what not to say, it's freedom of speech, he doesn't need your permission.

Scroll down to the bottom of any news item with comments, you will see this:

"The site owner reserves the right to remove any content that they deem to be offensive - such as insults towards John Frusciante, his family, musician friends or anyone visiting this website. Such comments will be removed without any explanation. Please speak to people in a way that you wish to be spoken to yourself."

The comment policy is there to make our conversation civilised. Freedom of speech should not be an excuse for saying such things about the man who gave us so much of his beautiful music, or about anyone else, for that matter. We come from different places and background and generally, in most cases, such insults cannot be considered mild. Hope I clarified that for you.

That said, I assume you're new here, so welcome. :)

• Sam L. Jones says:

It's COULDNT care less. Could care less means that you COULD CARE LESS. Like, you could care more than you do -_-

12. gtmusic says:

13. John does not need to explain anything. You bought his "product" before he realized that making music is only for him and not to be shared.
    John is now so cool that he plays his guitar with a paintbrush that is guided by the spirits of all true dead artists. He also refuses to put it in any tuning that has ever been used before because that would be like selling out. He no longer plugs into an amp, but uses organic homemade spaghetti as a guitar chord and plugs it into the universe. You should hear it...but you can't because you are not cool enough and do not deserve it.

Now he is rich, so fuck the fans and go listen to Jack White.

14. I have a deep fear he is on drugs again... And that makes me real sad

15. rxsloan says:

maybe that's why i've been so drawn yo John's music … I'm the same way with music and visual Art … once its gotten out of me (or through me), I'm ready to move on to the next. Puts you in a state of continual evolution, Sure I'd LOVE to hear all that material, but I'm bugged all the time about getting all of my stuff "out there" and its just not that important to me … co-modification of ones soul isn't too cool - he deserves some privacy - he's given so much. I'd love to pick his brain on the subject …… reminds me of M Duchamp's ability to confuse everyone at they height of success by "not working anymore" - of course he was working, but it wasn't for the public to gloat over or to place fiscal economy onto libidinal economy. Carl Marx had it all right … too bad people ooze greed from their very bones and tissues - I could go on. HA !!!

16. rxsloan says:

Just leave John alone* … of course we'd LOVE to hear EVERYTHING he's done, but I think he's given us quite a bit. If i had to equate him to a visual artist, I'd say Marcel Duchamp … considering all social, economic, libidinal economies & philosophies. Getting the "thing' out of your soul is the most important part of the process … beyond that it seems to become a game of who can get what % of whatever "product" appears. A Ustream broadcast of something like that sounds appropriate - we'd love to have you aboard our Rabble Radio One broadcast. So far its just 2 of us ; its all live (some pre-recorded) - might be a good underground venue. If your interested, I'll set it up. I don't need compensation - your work inspires and compensates me daily : )

*I admit - its hard to 'leave him alone' when he inspires us so much.

17. birdman says:

dasf

18. birdman says:

dasf

• Dolly says:

I mean, John released his last album in '09 right? And before that it took him what, 5 years to release his next one? Add 5 to 9 what do u get? 2014. Patience is a virtue.