Swahili BlondeSick of Saturday questions? Not into Chad Smith's quotes on RHCP? Seen all the media that's posted every now and then? Today's your lucky day, I guess, as there's some REAL news and some MUSIC! ^_^ I've been nudged to post some more news on this ever since some people first spotted it; but - just as it was the case with Speed Dealer Moms - I thought it would not be all right to disturb the musicians at work until they're ready to present something to us.

Swahili Blonde is a new project of the percussionist/vocalist Nicole Turley who formerly played with Los Angeles-based new age band Weave! (you can hear their music here - they opened for Warpaint and the John/Flea/Josh/Stella improvisation band back in September 2008 at the Troubadour) on which she's exploring new musican horizons and improving her skills by playing alongside other instruments and her collaborator on it is the guitar maestro we all love - John. They were assisted by Stella Mozgawa and a violin player named Laena Myers-Ionita.

For now, you can go to the band's Myspace page and listen to a couple of their songs - Red Money, Release The Ghost, Tiny Shaman, an instrumental called Dr. Teeth and the above mentioned Elixir Fixir/Elixor Fixor. As keen Bowie fans may notice, Red Money is a cover song that will also appear on the Manimal Vinyl David Bowie tribute album- due out early 2010.

The band's debut single Elixir Fixir will be released digitally on Manimal Vinyl later this month and there will be an actual CD/EP and 12" coming up come next year. They describe this style as a mix of Raincoats-style noodlings with the early 70’s Kraut-rock such as Can or Faust.

Here's the artwork for the single. You can read how the band feels about it here and the description definitely makes sense.

Elixir Fixir single artwork - front Elixir Fixir single artwork - back

You can also read an interview with ms. Turley where she's talking about her musical background and this project.

And, of course, say if you dig this! It's pretty different, but really good, too. No gossip in comments, please.
*Thanks to Katie, Laura, Carole and Harrz for information during this period of time.

26 Reactions to Swahili Blonde (Nicole Turley and John Frusciante) to release a digital single later this month!

1. Laura says:

Laena Myers-Ionita, she has her full name listed on MySpace.

2. baro says:

Just heard Elixor Fixor. John's guitar is pretty recognizeable.

I'm no bowie fan but Red money sure sounds like Iggy Pop's sister midnight. Iggy and bowie were friends and collaborated and such so it's not so surprising iggy also covered this.

Awesome band this one!

• baro says:

I just checked wikipedia and it's the other way round - Bowie helped iggy write Sister midnight and later wrote Red money with the same music. My bad.

3. jill says:

I know I've heard dr teeth somewhere before. Is it a cover, or could it have come from a live perfomance, like part of an outro? Anyone else recognize it?

4. shalhevet says:

thanx for this news! i heard the song and it's great! john never stops surprising me!

5. Santiago says:

Probably not really relevant but something I just noticed:

quoting the interview on their mySpace
    "TTM: Do you play any other instruments? If so … how does that affect your drumming?

NT: I started a DIY project this year called Swahili Blonde – where I write, play, sing, record, and mix everything myself – actually, everything except guitar – my boyfriend’s been doing the guitar stuff. "

And the music is simply weird. I love it =D

• TL says:

What does that have to do with anything?

• Billy says:

Just the idea that John is her boyfriend... No big deal. He was just delicately pointing it out.

Yes, but this website is about John's music and I like to keep it that way, out of respect for everything he's done for us. Let them have their privacy and enjoy their love, we're nobody to talk about it. OK? ;-) They provide us with beautiful music, so really, that's everything that matters.

6. Kelly Freeman says:

Good for John. Naturally, he's doing what he loves! I checked them out, and I definitely don't like it at all, but I'm still happy for John. :P

• Dean says:

I agree. Love John and all, but my suspicions after hearing the name of the project and hearing some of Weave!'s stuff, that I would be like "This is cool and all, but I'm just not into it." were confirmed. No problem at all, who knows, maybe in 5, 10, 20 years I'll hear it again and fall in love with it.

7. CMD313 says:

I am with Kelly here. Not my stuff, but good luck to them on all plans! :grin:

8. Caleb says:

The Swahili Blonde stuff is reallllly weird. But I like it. Its very good. It's definitely different from anything I've heard before. But its all good vibrations and sounds great.

9. Hišica. says:

Sounds interesting.^^

10. Ectogasm says:

Talking Heads much? Wish John and David Byrne had gotten to collaborate on that NASA album, oh well, maybe next time.

11. patches says:

Well this is pretty wonderful! I like the recording quality, and i bet the full album will be fantastic.

12. taylors238 says:

I'm glad he's exploring new avenues/ ventures musically...but it's a far cry from the RHCP and his solo stuff. Make what you want out of it. What ever makes him happy

13. taylors238 says:

14. balls mcgee says:

privacy/schmivacy...shut the fuck up and/or who cares? listen to the music, everything john touches is bound to be gold. as far as the tmz paparrazistas, fuck it....let them do their thing too. That is why they are here, their interest in and blogging of inconsequential observations is what they were put here to do in the first place, I could criticize you for spending time on a fansite, but shit....looks like I'm here too. lighten up, and if you don't like something you read....go do something better with your time. I doubt that John spends his time reading these sites. I doubt that he cares if anyone knows who he is dating, so long as you don't harass or stalk or take pictures of him.

I'm never thinking about this again.

15. mike says:

The truth isthat Nicole is no true musician. She was just having fun with a hobby. She`s not that good at anything musically. He will definitely forget about her one day because she is the most plainest, dullest, average girl on the john`s girls list. They are all exotic and artistic. That`s what he likes. Boy, he pulled a dumb one falling for that user.

16. mike says:

Swahili blonde sounds very cool, but only due to the other musicians involved in it. Nothing Nicole does is impressive because she is a dancer and not a real musician. Now Emily Kokal. There`s a real musician. She has real talents. It`s so strange that John actually went for Nicole after being with such a talent. Nicole is just ripping off of all these other artists ideas. And she`s not even pretty. Have fun pertending you are some sort of star and some musician you are not while you`re using Frusciante for the limelight. Nothing you do is very musically impressive and you know it, Nicole.

I disagree with both statements. And you should really:

a) Tone your statements on John's musical and life partner. He's allowed to be with the person he loves, just like we all are. Humans need to be loved. Love might be blind

b) Find an Emily Kokal fansite, as this one stopped concerning her in any way when John was no longer mixing Warpaint stuff.

c) Stop breaking the commenting policy on this website.

O, and personally, I feel Warpaint ripped off Lush and Cocteau Twins a lot (as a fan of Miki Berenyi and Elisabeth Fraser's heavenly voices), the same way REM ripped 13th Floor Elevators, but that's a discussion for some other place and some other time...

I disagree with both statements. And you should really:

c) Stop breaking the commenting policy on this website.

17. outofourminds says:

I have mixed feelings too and sort of have empathized with all the opinions on this page (about her in general/surprised that this is his love since she doesn't impress me as much as him) BUT now what I've realized is that since finding out about nicole turley's music and bands, listening to her and checking stuff out, mainly out of sheer curiosity, has completely widened my musical horizons.
    I think that's gotta count for something.
    The first time i heard a nicole turley song (through being a weirdly obsessed john fan) i thought, "yich, what is this?" and decided it wasn't for me. But then the hook from the song (the song was "purple ink" got stuck in my head and I ended listening to the song more and more. it sort of stretched my brain in a new direction and then i liked it once i got used to the newness).