Chad says John won’t attend Hall of Fame induction

In a brief interview for Billboard.com, Red Hot Chili Peppers' Chad Smith talked about the band's plans after Anthony Kiedis' recovery, more or less said that a follow up to 2011's I'm With You is not to be expected before late 2013. In the light of upcoming ceremony of inducing the Red Hots and a couple of others to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame; he said that Jack Jack Irons and Cliff Martinez will perform at the ceremony, as well as attend the private party the night before.

As many predicted in the recent discussions, John is not going to be there. Here's what Smith had to say about it:

He didn't feel comfortable coming, which we totally respect," Smith says. "We asked him... He said, 'I'm just not really comfortable with that, but good luck and thanks for inviting me.' It was all good. He's the kind of guy, I think, that once he's finished with something he's just on to the next phase of his life. The Chili Peppers are not really on his radar right now."

But, Smith adds, that won't dampen the celebration in Cleveland. "I'm very pleased about it," he says. "Music's not a competition. Yeah, you like to win Grammys and stuff, but (the Rock Hall) is different. It's not like the flavor of the month or the flavor of the year; it's for a long career we've been fortunate enough to have. I'm very humbled, because the people who are in there...it's not a joke. It's very cool. So we're looking forward to it. It'll be a fun thing. There's no pressure, like, 'Are we gonna win?,' none of that s***. We can just go and have a good time and celebrate with our friends and our families and our fans."

Therefore, guys at Gigwise were not really right, were they?

*Many thanks to Ian, Matt and Adam for the heads-up.

66 Reactions to Chad says John won’t attend Hall of Fame induction

1. Luka says:

c'mon now!

2. Jasper says:

I was actually expecting this, John doesn't want to have anything to do with RHCP anymore. But I respect his choice, this means he'll have one extra day to work on his new album :D

• Sander says:

True (: Can't wait for his new material or his intention to re record some of his old stuff?!

3. matt camelon says:

exelente.... no le importa ese tipos de celebraciones...ni la gira....

4. Kristjan says:

Noo, c'mon. John is the main guy of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Without him Red Hot Chili Peppers never probably get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. WTF really or John is just so strange guy??
    John don't have any respect to Chili Peppers any more? It's only on evening what he have to spent.
    It's all is just so confuseing :(

• Kevin Emery says:

I don't think that it really indicates any disrespect, but rather that Frusciante's focus is on being a musician, rather than on being famous. He's quoted as having said that he was not comfortable being a superstar. This is, after all, the rock-and-roll hall of *Fame*. Also, Josh Klinghoffer, an equally amazing guitarist, will be there, and Josh most likely never would have been invited to join the band without John, he's John's long-time friend and collaborator, and the perfect guitarist for their new sound. So, in his way, John is still contributing a lot to the band. It's just behind-the-scenes, so to speak, rather than front-and-center.

5. Kristjan says:

6. Jordan says:

I'm quite disappointed because he really deserves his place seeing as he's been the driving force for about 15 incredibly successful years of the RHCP. Plus it'd mean we could see him again

7. M.A. says:

Looks like they respect what John wants, John respects what they want. I don't see the problem and I like what Chad had to say. It's sad we won't see John on TV when the ceremony is televised, but the ceremony is really for them to have fun among other musician friends and have an awards show, like Chad said, that is a lot of fun and celebratory. There is no point in someone being there who doesn't want to be there. I just hope we get more from John, like ....a SOLO album...just because he's not in the Peppers doesn't mean he won't do stuff, though it's far less likely to be on TV or whatever, but WE know what's good! :) I still say if Donna Summer got in I would be upset because I think it would be awesome to see John play for Donna singing I Feel Love, but that's just me.

8. Cruz says:

That is actually a bit devastating. Not in terms of me (or anyone) just being the "pro-john" Chili Pepper fan, but in terms of what he's actually contributed to the Chili Peppers over the many years of their existence. What he has done for the band musically, and in the creative space of the Guitar role was an unbelievable achievement. Those guys are practically family to him, kindred spirits that were born to play music together. And for John to not even show up to an event that is going to Celebrate what he has already done with the Peppers, its just a real shame. I am saddened by that quite honestly. After all the ups and downs that they have been through with him? Chad put it best that to be inducted isn't just some award, it really is different. I understand that John is onto a totally different scheme of things and perhaps just really wants to devote everything to what he's doing now creatively, mentally, and maybe emotionally. But thats no reason for him to not at least show up to pay enough respects to himself, his beloved band mates, friends and family as well as to send off a neat salute to legions of devoted Chili fans. He deserves it, and so do we. Sorry for the long comment, just had to vent that off... Lol

9. Normie says:

The man frustrates me sometimes... grow some balls and attend for the fans sake. Those who made u rich!

• dale says:

i agree. get over yourself for a few hours

• riacirca84 says:

lol I guess the same can be said to both of you... everyone is important in their own world so we shall live in our own world..

10. Manu says:

We all know what it's gonna happen! It's such a shame! John deserves to be there, but he doesn't want to, so we gotta respect his decision! If he goes there, he wouldn't be comfortable, things are no ok with the other guys... So if good for him, I'll support his decision!

11. Dakota says:

John put the Chili Peppers on the map..
    Thats like inducting the 93' Chicago Bulls into the Basketball Hall of Fame without Michael Jordan..

12. Maheyla says:

love john for his playing...but p-lease. A cliche wannabe eccentric move...

13. panama says:

That Hall of Fame is a piss stain (citing the Sex Pistols with whom I agree)
    Created and managed by non-musicians and "coronating" musicians as they please and the whole world considers that. I hate that just as much as I hate Grammys, Oscars, magazines' bests lists and all the other crap. I think John does too, I would be very surprised if he decided to attend. He's not a rock star, he's a god.

14. lolzzzz says:

fans listen to music to get ppl in rock n roll hall of fame

15. dr dre says:

duuh off course he won't come, He never liked the attention of the public eye. He plays music cause he is one with music,he didn't do it for wrong motives like fortune and fame. Thats why he never sold out.Grammys , music awards ,Hall of fame , he doesn't care about that, the only thing that matter for him is music

16. Arjan says:

What a wierd dude!

I like his Music but i don't get that guy haha.

17. Kellee says:

His job was to create and perform incredible music with RHCP, not to be a show pony. Maybe he'll stay home and write something brilliant that night!

18. asdfg says:

I'm very very disappointed in John these days. These days being the last 2 years............. Like Bob Forrest said on his show recently, the same people who avoid accolades now would have begged for them when they weren't famous yet. Take the money and run John - I never would have expected it. I sometimes feel like I wasted a lot of years caring about him. I still enjoy his music tho.

• Some People says:

AHAHAHAH! Are you serious? Such an ignorant statement.

You might want to use a single name instead of three different ones. And you might not want to continue breaking the comment rules; as this is supposed to be a nice place, where we discuss in a civliised manner, without hurting each other. Thanks in advance. :)

• Fourthname;) says:

How am I hurting anyone or being uncivilized? And I think I might use 4 or 5 names. lol :-)

19. Justin says:

I can understand his uncomfortability with the situation. Maybe if they were inducted 10, 15 years down the road, but this is less than a year after the release of I'm With You, a record featuring a new guitarist. I'm sure it would feel weird joining the Chilis for just one night and "stealing" Josh's thunder. John is not someone who likes to be in the spotlight anyways and doesn't appear to be the most social guy, unless he's around close friends.

What's the big deal? One night celebrating with his former bandmates isn't going to secure his spot back in the band. He's 42 years old, married, and interested in different things.

• Justin says:

Just be proud that John is partially responsible for their induction. Imagine how strange it will feel for Josh!?!?

• digeridoo145 says:

think you wanted to say PRACTICALLY. RHCP woulda been a joke w/o frusciante.

20. Jano says:

Well, if John wants it to be this way, just let him have it. I actually don't find it disrespectful towards myself even if it would be nice to see him there. He doesn't owe me anything, I paid for his 'work' and was given something beyond the actual value of the money I spent. -respect-

21. Adam says:

Disappointing

22. michael says:

23. I dont really care abou hall of fame but without john, they dont deserve it.

24. David says:

Gotta admit it's a little bit of a sting. Didn't think we'd even hear anything until the event itself. But to know in advance he's planning on not being there? Kinda takes the excitement out of it for me. I know he's moved on from rhcp, but it's still sad to know the man who's a MAJOR part of their level of success wants nothing to do with that past... In any capacity... Ever again. :/

25. Will S. says:

I was just posting to say that you are an incredible artist. You inspired me to pick up a guitar and are my favorite musician. I heard that you are planning on not attending the RAROH induction ceremony with your fellow ex- band members. I understand why it would seem wrong for you to go to something like this but I think that you should. Your band members invited you and clearly want you there, I know that you don't want the spotlight on you (even if you deserve it) but that doesn't mean that you can't go at all. I think it would be respectful and the band would appreciate it if you were there with them when they received this incredible accomplishment. Don't forget, you helped them get there! I truly believe that you should go, playing or not playing, out of the love that you had with the Red Hot Chili Peppers and show respect for the band that helped you get where you are today: a Hall of Fame Rocker. I really hope that you read this and realize that you should be there not just for yourself, but for everyone that has listened to your music. I hope this gets to you.
    Your Fan,
    Will Steinhauser

26. joe kenbok says:

i love john to death and always will. i do wish he would attend but only because i know he deserves it and is a huge part of why theyre being inducted. but lets not be selfish and judge the man for his personal feelings and reasons for not wanting to attend. i miss him a lot lately.

27. joe kenbok says:

i love you. ive loved you since i was nine and my cousin gave me a blood sugar sex magik cassette before i knew your name and it opened up my heart for music infinitely. when i first heard niandra, i was in disbelief and bliss and awe that someone could capture feelings i had in my soul and recreate them with guitar and voice. your music has been the soundtrack for my life and often my salvation. i feel like you express things that i feel but could never put into words. thank you so much.

28. Will S. says:

29. johnson says:

You people get over yourselfs in a first place! it's all a bit ridiculous, do you realize that there are some people (including John) who might not regard this thing called the ROCKNROLL HALL OF FAME very highly?! have you ever thought about it's name?!?! I do know John's music just as well as all of you do, but i do not know John (i'm sure some respondents think that somehow they actually 'know' him, know what he's thinking etc...), and still I would bet money that 0% of the music he is into NOW would NEVER be recognised by that fckn institution called Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame.

• Lamester says:

If he doesn't rate it highly, why did he advocate for Cat Stevens to get in some years ago?

30. johnson says:

31. Christian Giordano says:

I didn't think that john was going to go in the first place.. but i think it would be nice if he did. It comforts me when i see people stay friends and stay in contact with each other, and i know some people just drift apart but i think if he went he would feel good about seeing the rest of the band since their a huge part of his life. I just always wanted them guys to have a strong love for each other

32. orangevarld says:

I would have been happy to see John, but isn't the Hall of Fame is just a question of... fame ? So why finding this event important ?

• Maheyla says:

i think it would give closure to those who "werent able to say goodbye" when he left RHCP... especially when the departure was kept under wraps for so long before being officially announced

• Dan says:

"so long" - from September 2008 to December 2009. had it been going on for one month more, the red hot chili peppers would just appear with the new guitarist at the musicares thing and they would make their fans look like even bigger idiots. perhaps all of this has something to do with the warners, but neither of the sides respect those who made them big in all this.

33. Tira says:

This breaks my heart.

34. ♫ Victor says:

i really like John, and i respect his choice.
    i have the same opinion that he is an essential member.

btw, some headlines say that he despises to the band.
    i don't think so, i believe John is (or should be) thankful.

he does not like fame

35. Miss. Indi says:

Oh, come on John.... I respect your choice but, I CAN'T believe that you won't do anything with RHCP anymore. I remember when I was a kid i saw you on Breaking the Girl video. You look really happy with the other members of RHCP.... Don't you miss them? Say that you thankful with RHCP is won't hurt you :) But btw, I like you with or without RHCP, even thou I can't help my self to not to miss the old RHCP. I know you're "strange" but I'm hoping you hangout with RHCP sometime :)

ps: I know this is not official site, but I like to pretend John reading this, lol.

• Jack says:

I'm sorry to break it to you but John wasn't in the Breaking the Girl video, it was recorded after he left the band for the first time. It's Arik Marshall in the video.

36. Aguywhounderstands says:

Ohhhhh some of you silly kids and your comments really amaze me.

37. Bernard says:

Having read many of John's interviews, I somehow sensed that John would not want to be a part of this. I'm sure he doesn't mean to spite the Chilis. I think it has more to do with John being allergic to the music industry in general, and its knack of promoting the more commercial artists with awards, top tens, halls of fame and the like. John is a music buff through and through, a fan of music in all its myriad sources and forms, and I can sort of understand he would feel uncomfortable being inducted in a fictitious elite when his many arcane heroes and inspirations have been left out.

38. ToHellWithTheFansAllAboutMe says:

My name is ToHellWithTheFansAllAboutMe and I agree with John ignoring his fans, his band's impact and contribution to the history of Rock and Roll and generally pissing on a good portion of his life's work and the people that love him and that he has inspired. I used to do things that I am now too cool for, too, so I won't acknowledge them because my new friends would think I was a sellout.

Way to go John!!!

39. Sue says:

Disappointing on two levels:

1) That John couldn't look at the bigger picture and put aside his concerns about his personal comfort levels for one night to accept the honour with good grace, and

2) That Dave Navarro was not included in the induction. He was a legitimate part of the band and its history and should not have been overlooked.

• emil says:

amen! it's a bunch of crap that Dave is ONCE AGAIN not getting his due. I don't agree with John not being there but whatever, it's decision. No I'm mostly really angry that Josh Klinghoffer IS getting in. I cannot honestly stand that guy. He is a John Frusciante IMITATOR at best.. He jacks his stage moves, his mannerisms, his haircut, his demeanor pretty much everything. And to top that off, I'm with you really sucks. It could have been good, but the guitar playing and solos, the one thing you'd hope he'd ape of John just sound liek garbage.
      Bonus, One Hot minute has sold 6x more than I'm With You.

40. Antonio says:

Well Paul Mccartney didn't attend to the ceremony when The Beatles were inducted... oh well, I hope they say nice things from John when they are inducted.

41. Antonio says:

42. Adam says:

Don't understand the bitterness about this. It doesn't matter if he goes or not - they're not being welcomed into heaven, it's a record industry dinner with famously opaque selection criteria. I don't know when fans all started getting all impressed by record sales and industry flannel. As for the band, I'm sure they're all friends still. And if they're not, that's fine too. People move on - it's not a bad thing.

43. John is a true artist. He does not need to go somewhere to be respected or honored. He already knows how awesome he is and even though in the past, he faltered and made music which was a "product"..at least there were people foolish enough to buy that product and line his pockets with enough money to say "fuck you" to everyone that does not matter to him(that being the fools that bought his "product". He really needs to move out of the Hollywood Hills and go somewhere less "sell-out" so that he is not mistaken for a rich, ungrateful asshole. because really, he does not at all seem like a rich, pompous, ungrateful asshole that is spitting in the face of the people that helped him live such a lifestyle. Imagine that he had to work a real job at one point in his life..I wonder if that would make him even more of an "artist", or if the rigors of working would suck the creative ghostly spirits out of his brain and he would wish that people gave a fuck about his "product". Oh well..he needn't worry. He's rich, so fuck you, I guess.

44. Chantie says:

You Fru stans are hilarious lol

45. sean says:

hall of fame is a joke anyway and to the pissed off fans... fuck you. assholes John owes you nothing.

• Agree with the first part, all music awards are a joke. I respect his choice, I'm not angry and I will always admire him a lot.. That being said. John do owes to the band and to the fans. If he can live the way he lives now, without worrying about money, contracts, is because the massive success of the chili peppers (Don´t get me wrong, he totally deserves, he was the one that TOOK the Peppers to another level). Still I think is childish to get mad with John because he don't want to go. Even the band it's OK with that, so I don't see why the fans should get angry.

46. rxsloan says:

doesn't seem like the kinda guy that cares much about such things. Respects it and is honored, I'm sure, but he's busy …

47. truefrufan says:

im not at all shocked john didnt attend but i wish he could have. john owes us nothing more than he has already given us wich is almost 25 years of amazing music and thats why we all love him not because he looks cool on stage....although he does. the only thing that realy upsets me is that an untalented wannabe like josh klinghoffer is in the hall of fame as a pepper. i know alot of people said the same thing about robert trujillo when metalica got in but at least he had already established himself in the music world and actualy has a little thing called talent. if josh wants to be like john so much maybe he should start doing heroin and maybe his music wont suck so bad or maybe he'll overdose and we wont have to hear anymore of his aweful sounds.

• Azeo says:

This left me a little bit empty inside. And I know RHCP are nothing new but nothing ever caught my eye on tv about this new man. He was never introduced. Bad on RHCP about that. At least honor your new member by doing some cool interviews.

As for John I'm sorry he couldn't suck it up for a night but if it was that repulsive to him maybe he couldn't do it. Maybe he doesn't like axel or something? I love johns solo work to record only water is my favorite album. John is just too artsy for this kind of stuff. Even if one night would be like counting the seconds for him I think he owed it to show himself. This is like robbing part of ones spirit. Like robbing the fans accolades. A lot of people listened to RHCP during some really precious and dangerous and times in our life when we're molding our minds for him not to show up is us to be let down and feel cheapened because our experiences feel less legitimized and we almost feel dirty dirty as the shit we used to put in our bodies... And old too