RHCP take time to honour John at the Hall of Fame induction

Late last night local time, the Red Hot Chili Peppers have been induced to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, together with Faces/Small Faces, Guns N' Roses, late Laura Nyro, Beastie Boys and others.

The band gave a short speech for the press, accompanied by their former drummers Jack Irons and Cliff Martinez; and later on they performed Higher Ground with Billie Joe Armstrong, Slash, George Clinton and Ronnie Wood joining them.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Red Hot Chili Peppers' acceptance speech

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Red Hot Chili Peppers' acceptance speech

Just like Chad Smith said earlier, John was not present, but his band mates took their time to honour him and thank him for everything he's done for them during his two stints with the band.

Flea said: "I want to take a minute to honour the great musician John Frusciante who was a huge part of our band, he wrote so much great shit for us and he left us with so many amazing gifts and the connection and depth of our bond musically, changed my life forever."

Previously, in media reports leading up to this event, Flea said that he cannot speak for John, but that it's "kind of an ex-girlfriend vibe".

Anthony Kiedis - whose 'dream about seeing John Frusciante in the front row at the ceremony, which is not going to happen' was quoted by AP and many other news outlets earlier this week - followed up with: "He was a mind blowing young man, very much a student of the school of Hillel Slovak among many other art forms and musicians, and his creative spirit drove us to new heights. He was on fire, and he's just one of the most amazing artists on earth and we were lucky to have him in this band twice and write music with him. We're very grateful to you, John Frusciante."

Red Hot Chili Peppers backdrop featuring the "classic" line-up

Red Hot Chili Peppers backdrop at the event, featuring the classic band line-up in a photo from 2006

You might also want to check out:
Video rip of Red Hots' acceptance speech (thanks to SA.com)
Photos from the event
Video highlights of the big night
AP article from earlier this week, with quotes

*Many thanks to Rhys, Anne and James for transcription.

50 Reactions to RHCP take time to honour John at the Hall of Fame induction

1. Cintia says:

Love them all!

• cmt says:

I have a difficult time when people try to judge john on his decision to not attend this ceremony, as well as when he decided to leave the band. It seems rather evident that john has no interest is the commercial side of music, at this time, and that is pretty much the objective of rhcp. It is pure speculation on my part but I wouldn’t be completely shocked if john is contractually bound to not release an album within a certain amount of time after his departure(would that not lead him to loathe the idea of music as a product more than normal?). Granted, that is what I am hoping and one day there will be a huge release of a slew of songs that we can all enjoy. Please don’t hate on john for loving his art, it will all be heard one day… Hopefully in my/our lifetime.

2. Jan van der Valk says:

This is the right thing to do, John deserves this. Good Flea, Anthony and Chat realised this. Chapeau boys!

3. Jee says:

John sure deserves to be honoured at the ceremony for what he brought to the table but don't the band and us fans deserve to have John there at the ceremony?!
    I read a comment on Fb that the Peppers wouldn't be where they are without John, and it's true but let's keep in mind John might not be where he is today without the band. It was a team effort, an alchimy that was made possible thanks to all the members united.
    I doubt that there are some law issues that would prevent John from showing up at the ceremony or communicate about anything... but if so, why not just telling it at some point?! John doesn't care about the business part of music and i'm very fine with it, but not showing up at the ceremony, and more generally keeping his fans ignorant even about the possibility of releasing an album, (and doing so, he fuels speculation!) ends sounding very self-centred and ungrateful to me.

• Jimmy r. says:

John was way ahead of the rest of the band musically before he even joined the chili peppers. He was destinies to be a great musician. He is a very humble guy, and for him once something is over its over there's no looking back. And as for his album, if you don't understand, you can't

• Serge says:

I'm so tired of people complaining about John not attending.
      What the f**k is a rock'n'roll hall of fame? Music is not about halls of fame. That's what I think and that's what John apparently thinks.
      It's kinda disappointing that many people can't understand it, and that many people take all those fake awards, honours and lists as something serious and objective. Mind that it's ran by people who aren't even musicians themselves. Why would anyone want to consider their opinion?
      As for the good times, I see no point in showing up somewhere just to be "rewarded" for them. They've been through a lot indeed, only THAT thing has nothing to do with it if you think about it.
      I hate when something is really, really overhyped and some people just stick with it.

• Saladbowl says:

I'd say the simple truth is that John doesnt care about any obligations of that sort, may they be righteous or not. He's not that kind of guy. He will do what is right for him and not be subject to any outside expectations. I believe that is important to him and a big part of his self-image today. He doesnt owe us anything. We dont owe him anything. He's a guy who makes music and we are people who listen to that music. Thats as much of a connection as there is if you look at it bluntly. I'm okay with it. He lives his life and I live mine - when he releases a record, for a while these paths cross in a certain way that cannot be explained.. asking for more is asking too much.

• mateo says:

I totally understand your point and I am in agreement with some of it. However, we all have responsibilities and obligations in all our lives whether we are artists of plumbers. John lives a very comfortable life from the music he made with the Peppers, as well he should, he deserves it and I believe with that comes a modicum of decency.__It's not really about him owing us anything. I understand he is under no contractual obligation to the fans of his music whatsoever. But, at some point as an adult you do things in your life (for some us daily) that you don't necessarily want to do, but you do anyway becasue it's the right thing to do. That's what grown ups do. When you make an insanely comfortable living from people buying your music and your concert tickets, then at some point the right thing to do is acknowledge the people who have helped give you that life. And that includes his former bandmates...cont.

• mateo says:

.__Listen, I could give two shits about the rock n roll hall of fame, it means nothing to me and it obviously means nothing to John. But it meant something to the brothers he created magic with, and the brothers with whom he built a fortune from the fans with. We all have outside expectations placed on us, and sometimes they suck but sometimes you just have to man up and do them. It wouldn't have hurt him to go and sit in that audience and support the rest of the guys. Fuck the hall of fame, but do the right thing by the people that you shared so much love and positive energy with...cont

• mateo says:

.__And it wouldn't hurt him to share a little something with the fans of his music from time to time. I noticed he had no problem updating his facebook page when The Empyrean came out and he was trying to sell that. But nothing since? Come on John. Even artists have to show up for work sometimes man. I know I'm in the minority here, but I believe when you accept money from the public at those amounts at that level, then there is a minimum amount of interaction and decency involved with that. I'm not saying he needs to create a daily blog or tweet about his every coming and going but a little something wouldn't be so much to ask.__I'm a huge Frusciante guy, and I will always love his music and contributions to real art. I can't even listen to the new Peppers album, not because it's bad, but because it doesn't have that special something that only he can bring to it. I just think that once in a while he needs to show a little more love and respect to the people that brought him there. My opinion and Im sticking to it.

He was not updating his Facebook page. Perhaps you had no idea which one was the official one...it is http://www.facebook.com/johnfrusciante and it was updated once, when Here, Air came out in 2010. I assume you were either referring to some fan-made page or that you have mixed posting on Facebook up with blogging, which he indeed was doing. :)

• Anthony says:

Show up for work? He's working on a new album right now. Why abandon that for some patting yourself on the back ceremony? And, of course, he'd spread the news about his album, because he feels it's wrong to keep his music a secret. It's all that needs to be known; for the same reasons you mentioned, he feels a responsibility to his fans. He's got the full right to retire at this very moment if he wants to, as much as I hate the thought of it. Are you really that needy? I mean, look at all he's given us thus far! Who could ask for more? It's only a wonderful gift at this point, and I feel blessed to recieve it from him.

• Anthony says:

• mateo says:

As I stated, it's not about the pat on the back, or the hall of fame, it's about showing some support and love for the brothers that created all of the magic that they did. That's it. A couple of hours away from whatever he is/was working on. Keides said that he would have loved to have saw John there. Would have meant the world to those guys, cuz we all know they wouldn't have been on that stage that night without John Frusciante.

You say he feels it's wrong to keep his music a secret. Really?

4. Jee says:

5. Craig says:

No one is a bigger John fan than myself but i find it majorly disrespectful that he did not join them at the hall of fame....obviously he doesnt give a shit which I suppose is fine but out of respect for a band that he had been a part of for over two decades its would have been the least he could have done. Grabted the Hall of Fame is a bunch of crap and there are are artists that should be inducted who arent...but he was. and the former members were all there. I have a feeling that drugs have destroyed John's frame of thinking on common sense matters such as these.

6. matthew says:

John, I love you, I love your creativity, I love all that you have brought to the Peppers and the magic you have created with your solo work...having said all of that, shame on you for not reaching out to these people with whom you shaed your creative life with for so long. And shame on you for keeping the fans of your music in the dark for so long about your current status and your future plans. You live a good life now, and you should. But the Peppers and the fans have helped provide that life. Get off of your artistic high horse and come back to earth my man. Please.

• Stefan says:

I think that he can't be more down to earth, than he is right now.

• deeds says:

i dont mind that he didnt show up for the rock n roll hall of fame because the inductions are complete bullshit. they hire some artists that arent rock n roll and leave out others who are rock gods. plus, im not really interested in making music a competition or having these little clubs saying whos better than who because of sales

that being said, john should do something to keep in touch with fans. he should blog again, or make monthly videos. it would take no more than 10 minutes out of every month. i mean, he's always said: he doesnt care about the money, he plays music for himself and the fans who really enjoy his music.

i think hes gonna surprise us with another great album, but i miss the days when john would keep in touch with his fans

• Anthony says:

I do agree that he should keep more contact with his fans, but he really isn't obliged to do so. Believe me, I feel what you feel, but he's talked about this many times. When your famous and beloved, people aren't talking to you, they're talking to a poster. He clearly doesn't want to contribute to the "star-making machine" anymore, for the sake of the art. I appreciate that, even though it hurts me.

7. Pablo (argentina) says:

I just wanna cry...love this guys ALL OF THEM

8. Greg says:

maybe after this speech John will back again:)

• panagiotis says:

why do you want john to be back? i think his time as a chili pepper is over.His solo work is awesome and it fits him better to go solo,that way he can express himself,that's why he got into music. All i want right now is a new album to be released by john..

9. Edwin says:

Love You Music!!

10. Sarah Brown says:

I love the backdrop photo!! Happy days, good memories, amazing music - they totally rocked my world!! It would've been nice to see John but hey, he's around somewhere on the planet.... let's just leave him be and hope that soon he'll want to share himself and his music with us again. It'll be worth the wait and we all know that. He's been on stage for most of his life so we should respect that he wants time to be hidden away for a while. Big warm wishes to everyone who visits this site, newcomers and regulars!! I just want to shout WE LOVE YOU JOHN FRUSCIANTE!!!! wahoooo! XX

11. meeper27 says:

It was nice to see Jack and Cliff again at the induction ceremony. On unrelated note, but a fun fact nonetheless: when Josh was inducted last night, he broke Stevie Wonder's record for being the youngest person at the time of their Rock Hall induction. Congratulations to John and the rest of the Chilis!

12. Ryan says:

As Frusciante fan's we should understand that he makes music for himself, he didn't want to be as famous as he is now and he didn't like to tour. The real reason why he join RHCP because it was his favorite band. We should be grateful that he shares the music that comes out of him. And that new album, I can't wait to get my hands on it like all of you.

13. Lollie says:

john played in a pop band. he wrote commercial pop songs = hall of fame.
    Deal with it

14. blazek says:

john just knows that hall of fame is a big shit.

15. Bernard says:

There are two scenarios. It is either John couldn't be bothered, or John has an objection to being there. We might never know the truth, but fact remains the Peppers, who know him better than any one of us, are fine with it. More than that, they went out of their way to express their gratitude. I guess they have learned to accept John for what he is better than many of us fans.

• Anthony says:

That's a very nice take on it. Kudos.

• Petra says:

After finally watching the induction ceremony, I can only take my hat off to your comment. Even if it made me sad he was not there, this indicates how I can deal with it.

16. eddie says:

John is the best musician of all time en beyond , and his not showing is just the way he rolls , everyone can have an opinion about that , but fact is , when the times right en he's up for it , he will blow our minds again with his new creations , and leave us speachless , he doesn't owe me or anyone else anything , it's just what it is , and we all have a choice to listen to it and enjoy , or ignore it , me personaly going to totally freak out on every new creation he's gonna provide , but if he's not gonna bring out any music ever again , i will still enjoy all he made so far with the Chilli's , Mars Volta , Ataxia ,Tricky and solo stuff with Josh etc. and i am greatfull for being part of a musical experience that gives me so much joy , so thanx John for creating what u done till now .

17. @luizfar says:

"I guess they have learned to accept John for what he is better than many of us fans." <- hats off.

18. isaac whitty says:

John doesn't have to do anything or go anywhere, especially not for the desires of some of the fans here who claim he's misusing drugs again and that he is ignorant and selfish. Being a red hot chili pepper is about passion, it's about friendship and its about acceptance among many other interpretations. I have total faith that John is out there making stupid amounts of music, recording that music, and if the time comes that he is ready to release it then i guess he will. he has a beautiful creative wife who is just as much a musician as he is, which I'm sure he is putting a huge amount of his passion and time into also. what you need to understand is that john understands that the well never runs dry, it is just able to be distributed evenly across many things. I have no doubt that he would still be endeavoring to grow in all ways positively and all ways possible.

Red Hot Chili Peppers for life.

So beautifully said - agreeing on everything apart from the last sentence. Probably one of the nicest things anyone's said since JF left the band. :) Bravo!

• Yes! Its all about friendship. Isn't going to a music industry show that you shows love for your friends. The amazing times they had together is much bigger than this.

19. LyrikDeHaven says:

:,)

20. VivK says:

For the record I appreciate John the artist and his musical abilities. But I will never use those abilities as an excuse for poor judgement and treatment of other people. Some of john's fans blindly and unquestioningly defend his actions as being an artist. I'm sorry but you have to separate the PERSON from the artist. And since the end of the stadium Arcadium tour, John has been very selfish. He lied to fans about not wanting to be with the band in January 2009 just before the release of the empyrean, January 20, 2009. Why? Economics kids. Clearly it would have affected the sales of the album. It wasn't until September of 2009 ( 8 months after the release of his solo album) that he announced his decision to quit the band. Oh and he even admitted that this decision was made in December of 2008 one month before the empyrean was due to be released. This is purely the case of having it both ways. When he left the band the first time he was a selfish heroin addict who was throwing his life away. Btw he left in the middle of the tour in japan. He's lucky to be alive and it's a great story that he came back and was a active force. But let us remember the glue of the band, Flea, the greatest bassist ever s the one who came up with the idea to bring him back. And he picked John up and out of his life of misery and allowed him to learn to live gain. The least this guy could do is show a bit of appreciation for the chance he got to redeem himself. I have lost any and ll respect I ever had for this guy. I'm sick and tired of people making excuses for him like " oh he doesn't believe in commercializing music". Really??? He will forever be remembered for his contributions to one of the most commercialized bands in the world. Second you cannot tell me that you would ignore accepting a hall of fame award. Its a celebration of life and the lives they shared together and what they accomplished. Hey wanted to honor him and thank him for his contributions but instead he decided to piss in their faces. What a dick

21. P. Lenon says:

I am disappointed that John Frusciante did not attend the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. As a fan on John Frusciante's art and as a supporter of John F. the person; I wished that I could have seen him there. It may be the case that John has no obligation to appear to any events that involve the Red Hot Chile Peppers because he is no longer in the band. But I think John should have been there because his appearance would have brought joy to many people, many of those people who are very important to John. We don't know Frusciante's reasons for not showing up, he could have very well have some legitimate reasons that we are unaware of. However, if Frusciante decided not to attend the RnRHoF because he simple did not want to, then his act was selfish. His appearance, would have been a great way for him to say thank you to the fans and his former band mates who graciously accepted him despite his troubles. Remember, Frusciante abandoned the chile peppers and the fans for years and the band and the fans did not hesitate to offer him a second chance when he decided he wanted his life back.

Sometimes we should do things like attend weddings, graduations, and funerals etc. ( any ceremony) even when we do not want to because its a way showing love to the people that have been there for us in our lives. The fact of matter is Frusciante's appearance would have made a lot of people happy, including himself if he attended. There would have been no greater good lost in Frusciante's appearance and much more good to be gained for everyone if he was there. The Red Hot Chile Peppers' induction to Hall of Fame is a moment that can never be repeated and I wish I could have seen John there.

Alas, you gotta love how John sticks with his DGAF persona. Looking back on the Chile Peppers history it is only fitting that he did not attend. John Frusciante is a true rock star and the quintessential artist.

22. j says:

How old are you fukn people?

23. LtColVenom says:

Oh, come on!
    Have you ever attended an award ceremony? Do you know how stiffly boring it can get?
    Not to mention that getting all these compliments and good feelings thrown at you can become an ordeal if it's not your thing. Especially if it's for something you are over with and have no intention to come back to.
    Taking Flea's Ex-Girlfriend analogy further, can you imagine standing in front of all your ex's friends to hear how a great husband you were back in the days? A dreadfully weird experience.

I'm glad for John that he's done with all that circus and has the integrity to skip over the good parts too.
    The selfish one are the fans here. Those that would impose on him to do stuff he has no need nor any desire to do, just for the sake of giving them a good time.
    If John had a pressing need for the fans' adoration, he would still be in RCHP.
    He clearly doesn't and I say he's the better for it.